Practical Support to Line Managers during COVID-19
How can you helping line managers to manage their remote teams effectively?
It is business critical that line managers are supported and empowered to successfully lead their teams during this unprecedented time.
Our recommendations on how to best achieve this are informed by best practice and expert advice:
- Agree the new ‘norms’: for example, appropriate lead times to respond to enquiries, ‘core’ team hours and realistic timeframes for responding.
- Check on workloads
- Focus on results and allow flexibility
- Share personal workstyle: share your own pattern of work for the coming week and encourage others to do the same
- Role model self-certainty
- Don’t forget to celebrate
Helpful guidance and signposting for line managers
CIPD's 2020 wellbeing research confirms too few organisations are equipping line managers with the knowledge and skills to support people’s mental health.
This can be avoided by creating online community ‘hubs’ specifically for line managers. These can provide relevant online training modules and Q&A forums for dedicated HR advice. It is important that line managers have access to briefing sessions on relevant policies, employment options (voluntary unpaid leave, reduced hours) and key changes, with advice on processes and protocols for managing change so they can communicate these with their teams. In addition to functional business tasks it is essential to maintain the health and well being of the teams so providing guidance on prevention, early intervention and mental health support is key.
How can Line Managers look out for their team members?
- Ask open ended questions
- Rate stress levels: ask people individually to rate their current stress levels out of 10
- Focus on short range immediate tasks
- Map your team: are any team members pregnant or a new parent; with caring responsibilities; with physical or mental health conditions; alone or in a crowded household?
- Listen for cues: are people taking daily breaks, doing exercise and switching off from work properly? Look out for different tones of written communication; the rate, volume, pitch and inflexion of voice communication; any atypical physical behaviours in video communications.
Practical tools and further support?
Cityworks' Best practice guide on 'Maintaining employee morale and productivity during COVID-19'.
CIPD 2020 Wellbeing research.
Join us for our next webinar on ‘Financial Fitness During Challenging Times – register here.
Slides from our webinar on Practical Support to Line Managers during COVID-19 are available to members here.
Cityparents has a developed a wealth of online materials to support City professionals including webinars, advice and sharing of stories.
Category: Expert Advice
Released On 3rd May 2020